This is exciting: we have just now heard that Canon is instituting a “permanent” price drop on 26 lenses tomorrow, Sunday, August 31st.
If you bought a lens that was recently on rebate, don’t worry, you already got the better deal — for most lenses, the recent post-rebate prices were better than the new prices. For a couple lenses (notably the 24-70 II and 70-200 II) the price drop ($200) is equal to the rebate — effectively making it permanent. The best deals are on super-telephotos that weren’t on rebate — a $700 to $1000 price drop! You can see the full list below.
As for street prices? For lenses not currently on rebate, we expect street prices to drop! We will need a few days to get more clarity on what level the street prices will fall to, so we will disable street prices on all affected lenses. Please stay tuned, street prices will be back next week!
Another likely benefit of the price drop would be a reduction in the refurbished price, as refurbished prices are usually pegged at 80% of the MAP price.
A reminder, there is also a new mail-in rebate on 5D Mark III and 6D starting tomorrow. For the list of price drops (including both old and new MAP) please read more.
- $110 Price Drop on EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM from $2359 to $2249
- $100 Price Drop on EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM from $1749 to $1649
- $70 Price Drop on EF 50mm f/1.2L USM from $1619 to $1549
- $100 Price Drop on EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM from $2199 to $2099
- $40 Price Drop on EF 135mm f/2.0L USM from $1089 to $1049
- $40 Price Drop on EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM from $819 to $779
- $700 Price Drop on EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM from $7299 to $6599
- $1000 Price Drop on EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM from $11499 to $10499
- $1000 Price Drop on EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM from $10499 to $9499
- $1000 Price Drop on EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM from $12999 to $11999
- $500 Price Drop on EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM from $13999 to $13499
- $100 Price Drop on EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM from $1049 to $949
- $80 Price Drop on EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM from $1579 to $1499
- $200 Price Drop on EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM from $2299 to $2099
- $200 Price Drop on EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II from $2499 to $2299
- $50 Price Drop on EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM from $1349 to $1299
- $500 Price Drop on EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM from $1499 to $999
- $150 Price Drop on EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM from $1499 to $1349
- $150 Price Drop on EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM from $1599 to $1449
- $140 Price Drop on EF 28-300 f/3.5-5.6L IS USM from $2689 to $2549
- $50 Price Drop on EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II from $299 to $249
- $50 Price Drop on EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM from $349 to $299
- $250 Price Drop on TS-E 17mm f/4L from $2499 to $2249
- $200 Price Drop on TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II from $2199 to $1999
- $50 Price Drop on Extender EF 1.4x III from $499 to $449
- $50 Price Drop on Extender EF 2x III from $499 to $449
Please stay tuned for new street prices! If you are not familiar with our street prices, which is a great way to get a deal on a Canon lens or body from a Canon authorized dealer, you can read our FAQ about street prices.