This page serves as an index of “info” posts made on CanonPriceWatch.
Where to Buy
- Authorized Dealers, Unauthorized Dealers, and Grey Market Explained
Comprehensive explanation of the differences between authorized dealers, unauthorized dealers, and grey market; where unauthorized dealers get their stock, and how it all affects your Canon warranty.
- CanonPriceWatch’s eBay Dealer Reputation Reports
At CanonPriceWatch we take the reputation of the stores we list very seriously! About a year ago, we created a tool to analyze the reputation of eBay dealers. This is one of the factors to decide which stores are reputable, and which are not.
- Protecting Yourself During eBay TransactionsIn short, we think it’s quite safe if you rely on platforms like eBay when buying from an unauthorized dealer as they have some of the best buyer protection around. This post recaps some of the protection available via eBay and gives some tips on how to protect yourself.
- Warning: Avoid Abe’s of Maine and Other Bait & Switch Retailers
We often get asked why we never list Abe’s of Maine, or post some of their “great deals”, notably the EOS 6D for $1289. The short answer is, we classify the new Abe’s of Maine as a Bait & Switch store, alongside other notable ones including Ryther Camera, 42nd Street Photo, and Fumfie.
- Friends Don’t Let Friends Pay MAP for Canon Gear
An introduction to the Canon Minimum Advertised Price and how we’re working around it to still get you great deals on Canon gear.
- FAQ about CPW Street Prices
Frequently Asked Questions about CPW’s popular Street Price Program.
- Street Price Testimonials
Testimonials from readers on their experiences using the Street Price program to save hundreds when buying from authorized Canon dealers.
- Warning: Canon to Enforce Minimum Advertised Price Beginning April
The original warning post from when Canon decided to strictly enforce MAP beginning April 2014. Many didn’t believe us at the time.
- Frequently Asked Questions About the Canon Mail-in Rebates
We answer the seven most commonly asked questions about Canon mail-in rebates.
- 6 Tips & Tricks for Canon Mail-in Rebates
Six tips and tricks for successful Canon mail-in rebates, including the secret way to get your AMEX gift card refunded to a check or an ACH transfer right into your bank account.
Other / Site Features
- FAQ about “Notification” Feature
Frequently Asked Questions about CPW’s “Price Notification” feature.
- Opinion: How Canon USA Should Address their “Gray Market Problem”
An op-ed piece: our response to Canon’s “Grey Market Advisory”, with some suggestions to Canon USA on how to address their grey market problem.
- My Drobo Story: How Our Photos Survived Three Hard Drive Failures
Hard drive failure. Three words that strike fear into the heart of every photographer — the thought of losing every photo you’ve ever taken is quite sobering indeed. Our story of how we suffered three failed hard drives in four months — including two at the exact same time — yet all our photos and data was safe, thanks in big part due to Drobo technology.